New! Chemstar WATER’s CHEMSTAR 404VP Biodegradable Corrosion Inhibiting Powder
Corrosion Inhibiting Powder for Carbon, Steel, Aluminium & Other Ferrous Metals (Patent Pending)
CHEMSTAR 404VP is a water-soluble Vapor Phase Corrosion Inhibitor powder for wet or dry corrosion protection of ferrous metals and aluminum.
CHEMSTAR 404VPS is also available and contains silica.
- Appearance: off-white crystalline powder
- pH: 6-7 (1% aqueous solution)
- Solubility in water: 15%
- Bulk Density: 38-39 lb/ft3 (0.61-0.63 kg/l)
CHEMSTAR 404VPS (with silica)
- Appearance: white to off-white powder
- pH: 65.9-6.9 (1% water)
- Bulk Density: 37-38 lb/ft3 (0.59-0.61 kg/l)
- Tubular structures, pipes, and vessels.
- Voids, cavities, and tanks.
- Internal surfaces of compressors, turbines, engines, tanks, boilers, heat exchangers.
- Steam condensate lines, closed circuit heating, and cooling systems.
- Equipment during and after hydrostatic testing.
- Parts, components, and completed assemblies during shipping and storage.
- Additive to shot-blasting media, wet blasting.
- Additive to standing water.
- Carbon steel
- Stainless steel
- Other ferrous metals
- Vapor-phase inhibiting action protects inaccessible and recessed surfaces.
- If the CHEMSTAR 404VP layer is disturbed by moisture or the opening of an enclosed space, the layer is replenished by continuous vapor redeposition.
- Prevents future corrosion of pre-coated and painted surfaces.
- CHEMSTAR 404VP layer typically does not need to be removed prior to processing or use.
- If required, the powder is easily removed by air gun or water flush.
- Does not increase alkalinity.
- Provides economical protection for very large applications.
- Accepted by Cefas as an offshore chemical. Registered under OCNS number 25717, allowing use at 5,000 ppm.
- Provides liquid, vapor-phase, and interface protection (above the liquid level).
- Creates a monomolecular inhibiting layer on the metal surface.
- Provides up to 24 months of continuous protection.
- Does not contain nitrites, phosphates, or heavy metals.
Method of Application
Apply CHEMSTAR 404VP in dry form by dusting, fogging, or sprinkling. Apply CHEMSTAR 404VP in aqueous form by spray, flush, or immersion. After application, simply cover and close or seal the interior cavity or void (Fogging is easily achieved by using a low-pressure air hose and sandblast cup. Large conventional sandblasting systems can also be used).
For powder application with average environmental conditions, use 0.3-0.5 ounce (8.5-14 grams) of CHEMSTAR 404VP per 1 cubic foot (28 liters) of enclosed space (300-500 g/m3). The dosage can be increased for more severe conditions. For aqueous submersion or partial submersion applications, consult your Cortec® Representative.
Method of Removal
When required, CHEMSTAR 404VP/404VPS in powder form can be easily removed by using a low-pressure air gun or by a water rinse. Typically, if applied in aqueous form, the product does not require removal. If necessary, a simple water rinse or flush will suffice.
Packaging and Storage
CHEMSTAR 404VP/404VPS powders are available in 5-pound (2.3 kg), 50-pound (23 kg), and 100-pound (45 kg) moisture barrier bags packed in fiber-lined drums. Also available in pouches such as EcoPouch®. Store in a sealed container in a dry warehouse and avoid direct exposure to sunlight with temperatures not exceeding 150°F (65°C). Under these conditions shelf life is up to 24 months.
Toxicological Testing Results
(Performed by Nortech A.S. (Norway))*
- Biodegradability: 100% biodegradable in the marine environment, rapidly degradable substance (OECD** 306, BOD 28 Marine test).
- Toxicity: Very low (LD-50 = 5,000 mg oral-rat).
- Bioaccumulation potential: none (OECD Guideline 117).
*Testing performed in accordance with Oslo-Paris commission protocol
**Organization for Economic Co-Operation and Development