Cooling Tower Water Treatment Solutions
Over the last two decades, Chemstar WATER has developed, fine-tuned, and proven its cooling tower water treatment program’s ability to effectively mitigate microbiological activity. We have seen the difference a strategic and proactive approach makes. Thus we recommend our customers adopt a robust water management program to control microbiological activity, especially Legionella Pneumophila, through effective biofilm control.
We use state-of-the-art technologies to detect microbiological activity, such as inline adenosine triphosphate (ATP) monitors, proprietary quantitative polymerase chain reaction (qPCR) testing systems as well as leveraging our partnerships with reputable laboratories.
Our programs are designed to control mild-steel and copper corrosion, mineral scale deposits, biofilm growth, and system fouling. Our cooling-systems water treatment formulations are environmentally friendly and meet the most stringent discharge guidelines.
We do much more than just protect your cooling water systems from corrosion, deposits, and microbiological growth. Our solutions maximize the life of your cooling water system while keeping energy, water, and maintenance costs as low as possible.
Significant cooling tower challenges:
- Legionella spreading to the environment
- Biofilm formation dramatically reduces heat exchanger efficiency.
- Dirt and fine particulate contribute to the biofouling
- Scale formation reduces the heat exchanger efficiency
- Corrosion reduces the life of your multi-million dollar asset investment
- Foam formation
Cooling Water, Chilled Water Loop Treatment Program
Since 1999 we have been servicing water treatment systems across the nation, in each season, and with almost every part-maker and manufacturer. We know your system is unique because of the distinct set of inputs on each site from raw water, air quality, flows, changing temperatures, and the effects of the age of your equipment, the operating procedures, and more. We pride ourselves on knowing your coolers inside and out and being OEM-agnostic so that we get you the best solution. Let us help you establish the right chilled water treatment program to meet your safety standards, compliance regulations, and budget.
Our water treatment program begins with your initial consultation with our experts. We will come on-site to review your system and before a thorough assessment.
Water Treatment Assessment
This workup will include
- In-person review with our water technician experts
- Visual inspection of your entire system
- Understand baseline energy and water consumption and demonstrate how much the savings could be.
- Post-inspection review of cost-savings program options through autonomous chemical-feeding systems, water usage, energy conservation, sustainable inputs, and more.
This assessment is critical as it allows us to determine the state of your existing system and whether there is any fouling caused by corrosion, scale, or microbiological growth. Our program can then address these with the proper maintenance routine, chemical solutions, and monitoring services.
Cooling Tower Treatment Services
Your cooling tower is a significant investment and protecting it with the proper maintenance regime and correct solutions are vitally important. That’s why you need the right team to oversee, service, and prevent issues before they arise. At Chemstar WATER all our Service Technicians and Engineers receive thorough training. They are Certified Water Technologists (CWT) through the Association of Water Technologies (AWT), making them water treatment subject matter experts. They have the expertise, experience, and knowledge to provide the highest standards of service to maintain your boilers and chillers correctly. Their knowledge has helped other customers establish efficiencies and cost savings in the following areas:
- Efficient Heat Transfer: Replacing the heat exchanger fouling within heat exchangers with scale inhibitors
- Reduced Fouling: We believe in preventative care and regular maintenance to stop fouling before it starts by eliminating the precipitation of constituents, suspended matter settling, and microbial growth that causes it
- Improved Plant Uptime: By eradicating scale and corrosion-related downtime, your cooling tower plant stays running consistently
- Low Corrosion and Scale Formation: We can improve the integrity of metal components by minimizing corrosion and pitting that cause system failure
- High Cycles of Concentration: With proprietary equipment and chemical solutions like our scale and corrosion inhibitor in our Chemstar Traxstar series.
- Reduced Makeup Water: Our approach will bring down the required levels of water and chemicals and lower your water bills.
- Increased Design Efficiency: With the help of our biocides, we maintain cooling tower water design efficiency.
- Lessened Cooling Tower Microbial Growth: Less growth leads to better evaporation and heat exchange efficiencies.
- Higher Vigilance: Chemstar WATER offers 24/7 remote monitoring of the key indicators with control range and regular reporting of key indicators and suggested proactive measures.
Cooling Tower Cleaning Services
Your cooling tower is subject to daily factors such as range, heat load, temperature, and humidity, affecting its performance. To combat these, Chemstar WATER and The United States Occupational Safety and Health Administration’s (OSHA) Technical Manual recommend that all cooling towers be thoroughly disinfected a minimum of twice per year.
“Cooling towers should be cleaned and disinfected at least twice a year. Normally this maintenance will be performed before initial startup at the beginning of the cooling season and after shutdown in the fall.” – The OSHA Technical Manual
Performing the maintenance and doing it properly will help maximize your returns. So let our team of experienced experts care and clean your equipment.
Why is cooling tower cleaning necessary?
Simply put, dirty towers mean less productive systems. Poorly cared for towers foul the chillers and reduce the heat exchange efficiency, raising your energy bills.
Your annual water and energy cost of cooling tower systems can be many times the purchase price of the equipment. Even small reductions in cooling efficiency due to poor water treatment translate into hefty increases in operating costs. A 1/32” of microbiological fouling in a 500-ton chiller can increase annual electricity costs by over $50,000.
Bottom line: an ineffective water treatment program reduces system life, increases maintenance costs, and results in early replacement.