Cooling Tower Water Treatment Solutions
Over the last two decades, Chemstar WATER has developed, fine-tuned, and proven its cooling tower water treatment program’s ability to effectively mitigate the microbiological activity. We have seen the difference a strategic and proactive approach makes. Thus we recommend our customers adopt a robust water management program to control microbiological activity, especially Legionella Pneumophila, through effective biofilm control.
We use state-of-the-art technologies to detect microbiological activity, such as inline adenosine triphosphate (ATP) monitors, proprietary quantitative polymerase chain reaction (qPCR) testing systems, and leveraging our partnerships with reputable laboratories.
In addition to mitigating microbiological growth, our programs are designed to control corrosion, scale deposits, biofilm growth, and system fouling in both mild steel and copper systems. Our environmentally friendly formulations meet the strictest discharge guidelines and help to maximize the lifespan of your cooling water system while reducing energy, water, and maintenance costs.
We do much more than just protect your cooling water systems from corrosion, deposits, and microbiological growth. Our solutions maximize the life of your cooling water system while keeping energy, water, and maintenance costs as low as possible.
Significant cooling tower challenges:
- Legionella spreading to the environment
- Biofilm formation dramatically reduces heat exchanger efficiency.
- Dirt and fine particulate contribute to the biofouling
- Scale formation reduces the heat exchanger efficiency
- Corrosion reduces the life of your multi-million dollar asset investment
- Foam formation
Cooling Water, Chilled Water Loop Treatment Program
Since 1999 we have been servicing water treatment systems nationwide, in each season, and with almost every part-maker and manufacturer. We know your system is unique because of the distinct set of inputs on each site, from raw water, air quality, flows, changing temperatures, and the effects of the age of your equipment, the operating procedures, and more. We pride ourselves on knowing your coolers inside and out and being OEM-agnostic to get you the best solution. Let us help you establish the right chilled water treatment program to meet your safety standards, compliance regulations, and budget.
At Chemstar WATER, we understand that every cooling tower system is unique, with its own set of inputs and challenges. That’s why we offer a comprehensive water treatment program tailored to your specific needs. Our program begins with an on-site consultation and assessment, during which we thoroughly review your system and provide recommendations for cost-saving options such as autonomous chemical-feeding systems and sustainable inputs.
Our team of water treatment experts will work with you to establish the right chilled water treatment program to meet your safety standards, compliance regulations, and budget.
Water Treatment Assessment
This workup will include
- In-person review with our water technician experts.
- Visual inspection of your entire system.
- Understand baseline energy and water consumption and demonstrate how much the savings could be.
- Post-inspection review of cost-savings program options through autonomous chemical-feeding systems, water usage, energy conservation, sustainable inputs, and more.
This assessment is critical as it allows us to determine the state of your existing system and whether any fouling is caused by corrosion, scale, or microbiological growth. Our program can address these with the proper maintenance routine, chemical solutions, and monitoring services.
Cooling Tower Treatment Services
Your cooling tower is a significant investment, and protecting it with the proper maintenance regime and correct solutions are vitally important. That’s why you need the right team to oversee, service, and prevent issues before they arise. At Chemstar WATER, all our Service Technicians and Engineers receive thorough training. They are Certified Water Technologists (CWT) through the Association of Water Technologies (AWT), making them water treatment subject matter experts. They have the expertise, experience, and knowledge to provide the highest standards of service to maintain your boilers and chillers correctly. Their knowledge has helped other customers establish efficiencies and cost savings in the following areas:
- Efficient Heat Transfer: Replacing the heat exchanger fouling within heat exchangers with scale inhibitors
- Reduced Fouling: We believe in preventative care and regular maintenance to stop fouling before it starts by eliminating the precipitation of constituents, suspended matter settling, and microbial growth that causes it
- Improved Plant Uptime: By eradicating scale and corrosion-related downtime, your cooling tower plant stays running consistently
- Low Corrosion and Scale Formation: We can improve the integrity of metal components by minimizing corrosion and pitting that cause system failure
- High Cycles of Concentration: With proprietary equipment and chemical solutions like our scale and corrosion inhibitor in our Chemstar Traxstar series.
- Reduced Makeup Water: Our approach will bring down the required levels of water and chemicals and lower your water bills.
- Increased Design Efficiency: With the help of our biocides, we maintain cooling tower water design efficiency.
- Lessened Cooling Tower Microbial Growth: Less growth leads to better evaporation and heat exchange efficiencies.
- Higher Vigilance: Chemstar WATER offers 24/7 remote monitoring of the key indicators with a control range and regular reporting of key indicators and suggested proactive measures.
Cooling Tower Cleaning Services
Your cooling tower is subject to daily factors such as range, heat load, temperature, and humidity, affecting its performance. To combat these, Chemstar WATER and The United States Occupational Safety and Health Administration’s (OSHA) Technical Manual recommend that all cooling towers be thoroughly disinfected twice a year.
“Cooling towers should be cleaned and disinfected at least twice a year. Normally this maintenance will be performed before initial startup at the beginning of the cooling season and after shutdown in the fall.” – The OSHA Technical Manual.
Performing the maintenance and doing it properly will help maximize your returns. So let our team of experienced experts care for and clean your equipment.
Why is cooling tower cleaning necessary?
Cooling towers are used to dissipate heat from various industrial and commercial processes. They work by drawing in air and passing it over a flow of cooled water, which removes heat from the water and releases it into the atmosphere. Over time, these cooling towers can become fouled with various contaminants, including algae, bacteria, scale, and minerals. These contaminants can reduce the efficiency of the cooling tower and can even create health and safety hazards.
Periodic cleaning of a cooling tower helps to remove these contaminants and restore the tower’s efficiency. It can also help to extend the tower’s life by removing scale and other materials that can cause corrosion and other types of damage. Additionally, regular cleaning can help to prevent the growth of harmful microorganisms, which can pose a risk to the health of workers and the general public.
In summary, periodic cooling tower cleaning is necessary to maintain its efficiency, extend its lifespan, and prevent health and safety hazards.
Your annual water and energy cost of cooling tower systems can be many times the purchase price of the equipment. Even small reductions in cooling efficiency due to poor water treatment translate into hefty increases in operating costs. A 1/32” of microbiological fouling in a 500-ton chiller can increase annual electricity costs by over $50,000.
Bottom line: an ineffective water treatment program reduces system life, increases maintenance costs, and results in early replacement.