Cicadas are back. Your tower needs protection.
After a 17-year hiatus, it’s that time again: cicada season. Brood X, also known as the Great Eastern Brood, was first sighted in April and is expected to gradually build to a defining roar of trillions by summer across the eastern states. Let us help you with water treatment tower defense against cicadas solutions.
Did You Know?
A few facts about Brood X Cicadas:
- Brood X is actually made up of three species: Magicicada septendecim, Magicicada cassini and Magicicada septendecula.
- They are only found in North America and specifically this year in 15 states: Delaware, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, North Carolina, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, and Washington, D.C.
- They spend most of their life underground and because they don’t have mouths–just beaks–they suck on the roots of plants to get nutrients.
- It isn’t until they become adults, around age 13, or in this case 17, that they come above ground. And then they only live for 4 weeks.
- They spend most of this remaining time in trees hoping to find a mate and then lay eggs (often destroying the branches where they leave the fertilized eggs).
- They are loud! They can hit 100 decibels by flexing their abdominal organ.
Costly Cooling Tower Repairs if Left Unprotected
While high in protein and relatively harmless, cicadas are not great for shrubs, small plants, or your cooling towers. Cicadas clog up otherwise well-maintained cooling towers, sumps, and sump pumps. Left unprotected equipment can be quickly damaged, causing costly repairs.
Defend Your Tower With Screens
At Chemstar WATER we’ve seen firsthand the damage these insects can do. So we want to help you by getting ahead of it. We have your Cicada solution: a custom-designed and built hex screen.
Engineered to fit your tower’s needs with a netting that is not too small to create pressure on the system and not too big that insects can enter. You’ll get just the perfect size and screen.
Rather than incur costly repairs, let’s get you protected today. All we need is your tower model number and we can quote the rest.